lgbted.uk (formerly OutTeacher.org) is a website to help LGBT teachers be the role models they needed when they were at school Nobody should feel they need to hide who they are at school, but we recognise that this is harder in some schools than others.
Simply by being adults who are comfortable being openly gay, bisexual, lesbian or trans* then we show being LGBT for what it really is – natural and usual. This website contains:
- Case studies and stories of teachers and other school-based (or college-based) professionals who are out at school, hopefully with supportive statements from senior leadership teams, pupils and parents.
We’re also looking to add:
- Information from teaching unions, the Department for Education and from C of E and Catholic Schools on their ‘official line’ on being openly LGBT in school. This will initially be focused on England but we hope to extend this to other countries in time.
- Links to support sites, including EllyBarnes.com, Stonewall, Schools Out and others, where education professionals can get further information and guidance on how to make their schools more LGBT friendly.
Our case studies and stories
We’re looking for stories that showcase out LGBT teachers. Ideally we would like
- Videos (up to 6 minutes) or blogs (up to 1000 words) telling the story of why you (or a colleague/teacher) came out, why it was important, and the reaction from others.
- Reactions from senior leader and other colleagues, if possible.
- Reactions from pupils (current or former) explaining why they think it’s a good thing.
- Reactions from parents (current or former) explaining why they supported it.
It’s really helpful to have images or video of you and/or any events you’ve spoken at, displays you’ve put up, of colleagues and (with all of the appropriate permissions) students.
Please get in touch with any questions.