LGBTed Director role profile 2021
Closing date Friday 11th June 2021
LGBTed was founded in Summer 2017 by current directors Hannah Jepson and Daniel Tomlinson-Gray. We are now the largest grassroots LGBTQ+ network in the education sector and have to date over 6000 members. As we continue to grow we want to bring more leaders into the organisation to support our long term strategy development work, Create a clarity of message and sharpen our external voice in the sector and to support the diversification of our funding streams in our for us to make an impact on those LGBTQ+ educators who most need our support.
LGBTed remain committed to shining a spotlight on the inequities faced by huge proportions of the LGBTQ+ community in education. We continue to be inspired by the power of a network of educators who, despite the challenges and prejudices they face, work tirelessly to making sure schools and colleges are places that celebrate LGBTQ+ lives and allow staff, young people and the broader school community to explore, express and embrace their identities.
Our work to date includes:
• Two successful cohorts of our Proud Leadership programme, where 75% of participants achieved a promotion at work due to the empowerment of being authentic at work and their commitment to celebrating and advocating LGBTQ+ issues.
• Named as part of the GEO’s LGBT action plan as an organisation making a positive impact on the lives of LGBTQ+ people in the education sector.
• Publication of the book Big Gay Adventures in Education through Routledge, edited by Daniel Tomlinson-Gray. This book provides a voice for LGBTQ+ teachers and students through true stories of their experiences in schools.
• Launch of the new Senior Leadership Masters for LGBTQ+ Leaders and allies, in partnership with the National College of Education and the University of Buckingham
• Launch of the new Middle Leaders Apprenticeship programme in partnership with the National College of Education
• We will run further cohorts of the Proud Leadership programme, providing training and mentoring to LGBTQ+ teachers, empowering them to be their authentic selves in schools.
• We will continue to develop corporate partnerships and partnerships with schools to improve the experiences of LGBTQ+ young people and teachers
• We will partner with the Chartered College of Teaching to deliver training and support ensuring that in the 21st century we no longer see a disparity between the diversity of our pupils and the diversity of our teachers and leaders
• We will continue to be a bold voice in the sector and speak with and on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community, enabling a deeper understanding of both the barriers to progress and the enablers of change.
We are looking for two directors to join the team at this stage and welcome applications from all areas of the LGBTQ+ community and the education sector. We’d be keen to hear from people who have:
• Experience of building a small/grassroots organisation/initiative to scale
• Experience of influencing policy at a senior level
• Experience of developing a marketing and comms strategy
• Experience of developing long term strategy (particularly within the LGBTQ+ or education sector)
• Experience of leading LGBTQ+ inclusion in organisations on a practical level
• Experience of senior leadership or equivalent in schools/colleges
• Experience of bid writing and securing significant funding
• Passion for LGBTQ+ inclusion
• A flexible approach to working
• A commitment to (and experience of) volunteer work
Applications are open now and will close 11th June 2021. If you are interested then please write to us (700 word max) email@example.com telling us what motivates you to be a part of the leadership team and what you feel you can contribute to LGBTed as we embark on the next phase of our journey.
We look forward to hearing from you!